Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Powerlessness vs. Right Action

For a while now I have recognized that I have a very hard time sitting still and focusing on one thing at a time, especially when I am on the computer. I am wondering lately what this is about. A way to avoid feeling feelings? Evidence for the ever-lingering sense of overwhelm and generalized anxiety about my future as a naturopath? ADHD? (wait for another post on that all too often diagnose for something that as Stephen Cowen MD describes is a symptom like fever rather than a disease entity in its own right; but hey, my anorexia wouldn't object to a prescription of Adderral - loss of appetite anyone?) As an antidote to this overwhelm, my great Aunt always makes the point to remind me, One Day At A Time. However, my perfectionist wants to object that success doesn't happen with that mentality!! Living in the present moment is all fine and well for those who have it together but for me, who has all these goals hanging from thin threads over my head....like a mobile....whirling above me always just out of grasp.... I find it difficult to implement! I also find it difficult to know the steps that I need to actively take, and where and when I need to let go and let God act. What am I powerless over and what requires action? When I am struggling with overwhelm I find it hard to sit still.. all I want is a stimulant or a nap! Or more than anything to exercise. Would just LOVE a vigorous vinyasa yoga class taught by Tina or Dora. Sadly that is not an action I can take and still remain in sobriety at this point.
What comes to mind is Detachment, that tried and true practice of all spiritual foundations with any kind of longevity. Detachment from the outcome of anything that I am working toward and yet not giving up or settling for less than my aspirations either. Like when I score an 86 on a test when I know I studied what I thought would be on it and then was confronted with different material that took longer to access from the recesses of my brain and wasn't as efficiently remembered. I need to let it go. Yet the thoughts of injustice, of failure, of how this is a reflection of my knowledge and ability as a budding doctor, etc. rush forth despite the intellectual realization that all they are is just that... thoughts. I am powerless over these thoughts, just like the thoughts that plague me with regards to my food, body weight and shape, and exercise (currently NOT exercising lets just make that clear to anyone reading... aka: sponsor). Choosing Right Action and accepting Powerlessness over the thoughts that want me to act otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Eryn,

    I can totally understand this. Sometimes I feel like I just don't know what to do with myself! I mean, I logically "know" what I should be doing or what needs to be done. But often I choose to detach in to some useless task or activity. Why do I do this? I sometimes judge myself and think I am just being lazy or unmotivated. The fact is, I am neither of those things. Sometimes what I need to do or even want to do (draw, write, paint, read) seems too overwhelming. There are too many choices. Then I also resort to something other than what is good for me. Let's discuss this more!

    Your friend,
    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete